If you’re interested in enhancing your health, brain, social life and mood so that you are really able to recover and believe and live again after the divorce or breakup, try laughing more. Please forgive me if you feel I am being insensitive. I can literally hear you retort, Zina are you for real, after what he put me through?
I get that, I am divorced too and it was such a traumatic experience, especially in the run up to actually being divorced….all the would we?, should we? can we? and why’s? as well as the emotional upheaval and fear of the unknown. However, be that as it was, having a good sense of humour put me in good stead to be able to laugh at myself and the situation. When I think back of the things I said and done as I went through my divorce, I laugh in disbelief.
What I can say is that having a good sense of humour is beneficial to multiple aspects of your life. A well-developed sense of humour has incredible benefits. Laughing and smiling aren’t frivolous activities. So, let go of being so serious and learn why humour is so important.
A sense of humour has many advantages:
- Strengthen your health. The more you laugh, the less frequently you’ll be sick. Studies have shown that laughing strengthens the immune system. It also lowers your blood pressure, which is great for your heart and brain. It’s possible that laughter can lower your medical expenses.
- A sense of humour is attractive. Who doesn’t like to laugh? We’re instinctively drawn to people that laugh easily. Everyone likes to have a good time and release their stress.
- If you’re fun to be with and you know how to make others laugh, you’ll find yourself surrounded by others who also have a good sense of humour.
- Reduce stress. Daily life is stressful. There are many ways to relieve stress, but few feel as good as laughing. With a good sense of humour, it’s easy to find reasons to laugh about life. A good laugh will allow you to forget about your challenges for a little while.
- Uplift your mood. It feels good to laugh, and the good feelings can last for hours afterwards. Humour can redirect your focus from the negative happenings in your life to something more enjoyable.
- Enhance your social life. Whether you’re trying to find new friends or trying to find the man or woman of your dreams, a sense of humour is critical. Consider the most popular people you know. Are they upbeat and do they smile easily? Or do they lack a sense of humour?
- Benefit others. Your mood, words, and actions affect those around you. When you’re in a bad mood, it negatively impacts others. Your smiling, happy face and mood are uplifting and brighten the moods of those around you.
- Strengthen your relationships. Is it possible to have a relationship that wouldn’t benefit from your sense of humour? Laughing together brings you closer together. You’ll find that your relationships with your neighbors, friends, family, and coworkers benefit from your ability to laugh and appreciate the lighter side of life.
- Increase your intelligence. At the very least, you’ll learn more easily. A study demonstrated that laughing stimulates the learning centers of the brain. Stimulating those areas on a regular basis is believed to enhance the ability to learn new information. Laughing might help you get a scholarship to Harvard.
Laughing is good for you. Your sense of humour impacts your health, mood, social life, and those around you. They say that, “Laughter is the best medicine.” Now you have a better idea why that statement is true. Find the humour in life and keep your mood light. There are no benefits to expecting the worst and experiencing negative moods.
Spend time with others who enjoy laughing. Make it a point to enjoy funny movies or watch your favorite comedians. Your laughter helps you and those around you. Feel free to laugh more.
Whatever you do, take the process in your stride, it is all part of your Believe and Live Again recovery, bounce back and transition journey from being a “we” to becoming a “me”.
If you would like to have an informal chat about it, don't hesitate to get in touch on: +44 208 938 3672 and myself or a member of my team will gladly schedule a Complimentary Believe and Live Again Coaching Discovery session or a no-obligation 30 minute "Forgive and Let Go" consultation and together, we could be embarking upon the Believe and Live Again 5 R's journey to heal your heart, outgrow your challenges and let go of the past so that your glorious future can finally emerge.
Once again, I invite you to contact me or schedule a time to talk, call: +44 (0) 208 938 3672 (24 hours) or click on the pink "Contact" at the bottom right hand side of this page and this will take you into my "Let's Talk" contact form. Kindly complete the form and you will get a call back.
In the meantime, until next time, Keep Smiling, Keep Strong and Keep Believing.
Best Wishes and God's Blessings
Zina Arinze helps female professionals, business women, entrepreneurs and women of faith, swiftly recover from the grief and trauma of domestic abuse as well as the stigma of divorce, separation or relationship breakdown by giving them clarity for their radiant future so that they are able to transition their mindsets from “we” to “me”, reconnect to their positive of self, regain their feminine power and walk in the healing restorative power of God. A lawyer by training and armed with an MBA, Zina has over 15 years in IT Project Management Consultancy, Training and Capacity Building for both the Public and Private Sectors, she very passionate about building lasting relationships and encouraging the discovery, development and deployment of hidden talents.